Since I live near ocean, I always walk my dog on a beach. I did not even suspect that a usual stroll may lead into trouble. This is the story about eliminating consequences of sand flea attack, and how my poor dog went through it all.
After a usual walk with my dog, we returned home and I noticed it tried to scratch his belly. The next day, irritation became worse, and my pet was scratching constantly. After examining coat, I found several red spots each about 7-8 mm wide. When I read and saw on the website “getridpests.com” about sand flea bites i realized what happened…
I did not know what to do. My dog was evidently stressed out and upset: he was nervous and sad, did not want to play, refused to eat. In a week, he lost several pounds and appetite. Whenever trying to pet him, he reacted aggressively. I was despaired, and in several days decided to contact a veterinarian.
It was doctor who identified the root of problem and told me which pest attacked my dog. Luckily, no infection was transmitted, and the specialist said that typically, these creatures do not contaminate people or animals. But allergic reaction to saliva was serious, and negative effect was long-lasting. We were recommended to try antihistamine pills and use calamine lotion. When buying all that, I started treatment and did the following:
- Bathed my dog in slightly warm water to reduce stress. I repeated this procedure 3-4 times a week after every walk.
- Rubbed calamine lotion into bites several times a day. It reduced itching tremendously, and the animal became calmer.
- I bough painkillers that were suitable for pets, too. Crushed pills into powder and added to my dog’s water.
- Antihistamine remedies reduced inflammation and redness in a week.
- I bought Aloe Vera extract that soothed irritation and promoted faster regeneration of wounds.
Drug treatment took us half a month to eliminate skin irritation and itching completely. In the third week, traces of bites disappeared. My dog managed to recover from irritation completely, and his appetite restored. From now on I will use insecticides and walking my buddy in parks.